Welcome to USRNSF.com

I have been accused of being wordy so lets get right to it. My latest hobby is clay and pottery, Im learning alot from the following folks and want to thank them for that.

Youtube channel PrimitiveTechnology I don't know this guys name but his video on Termite clay kiln & pottery is what started me down this trail and I am having a blast.

Youtuber Paul Iascau's Studio his video building a small wood fired kiln was the basis for my design.

Crane Yard Clay these guys have been instrumental at helping me as I begin to learn a little about clay, pottery, ceramics, kilns, Thanks guys!

I decided to try building my own wood fired pottery kiln and thought somebody might like to see it. So here are some pictures and maybe some videos will be added later.

Blocks were stacked to raise the kiln and make it easier to stoke over long firings, then an old washer tub was used to help keep the brick lay round. red bricks were used instead of firebrick cause well, its what I had access too. The kiln body and fire box base were laid and then the rebar was added. The firebox is designed so that air can get under the fire and will be drawn up through it. I built in the possibility of forced air so the back of the firebox at the bottom is blocked forcing any air forced in up through the fire. The fire will be built on top the rebar. One thing I did not consider is whether the cinder block will take the heat. If I have to put a layer of brick over them my opening to the kiln for fire will be smaller than I had planned. So we are going to try it like this. after laying out the rebar about a half brick apart the remaining brick was laid for the kiln and firebox just before starting the dome the washer tub was removed. and the firebrick shelf was cut. This turned out to be bad since on the last trim I broke the kiln shelf. So we simply decided to make due with the broken pieces for now. The entire dome minus the viewport (not pictured) and the opening for adding and removing stuff was covered with 200 lbs of "frosting" made from self dug clay mixed about 2 parts clay to 1 part play sand and pressed into all the cracks and crevices and smoothed. After a day of drying time relief lines were cut to allow the clay to shrink without ripping itself apart in hopes of controlling cracking. We shall see how that works for us. Im am contemplating what if anything to fill the relief lines with after we are bone dry. I am also considering something that most will find hysterical. I am wondering if I burnish the whole kiln then wrap it in a couple layers of fiberglass insulation if I can achieve atleast some level of firing on the outer kiln walls. Then remove the fiberglass and hopefully have something that repels water a little better than the clay would have without burnishing and heating to whatever level I might achieve...lol

I plan to replace the broken kiln shelf and maybe add some stand offs and a second shelf and depending on what temperatures I am able to achieve and maintain maybe make and fire some saggars for use in glazing. But we shall see I am so new to all of this I have no idea what to expect from my creation.